Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Direct vs. Indirect Characterization

In the vignette "Darius & the Clouds" the quote that struck me as direct characterization was when the author wrote :
"Darius, who does not like school, who is sometimes stupid and mostly a fool, said something wize today, though most days he days nothing. Darius, who chases girls with firecrackers or a stick that touched a rat and thinks he's tough..."


I believe it is direct characterization in this quote because it gives me a blunt ideal of the character Darius. It tells me about the way he acts directly by saying "...sometimes stupid and mostly a fool..." or "...chases girls with firecrackers or a stick that touched a rat..."




The quote from the vignette "Papa Who Wakes Up Tired in the Dark" that displays indirect characterization for me is:

"I have never seen my Papa cry and don't know what to do."

This is indirect characterization for me because it seems she's saying that her father is a strong man. That she has never seen him cry because he is strong. I know how she felt because I always thought my father was strong, and then I saw him cry. But that didn't change my view. I still think he is strong. But now that I have seen him cry, I know that even the strong can cry.


This is a picture of a girl comforting her crying younger brother. I think the mood of this pictures reminds of me of the vignette "Papa Wakes Up Tired in the Dark"


No comments:

Post a Comment